Historical Markers in Pecos County
There are 38 markers in Pecos county
Markers in the Bakersfield Area
McKenzie Cemetery - Windy Mesa Ranch, Coon Drops
Interesting Facts: Time Periods of Burials: 1975-Date of Survey
Markers in the Coyanosa Area
Boyd Family Cemetery
Driving Instructions: North from Coyanosa on FM 1776 to FM 1450. Turn left to go west for 4.3 miles to gravel Waha Gas Plant Gate #6 on south side. Then go South 2.1 miles to the cemetery on the east (left) side.
Interesting Facts: Time Periods of Burials: 1900-1945
Markers in the Girvin Area
Driving Instructions: From the junction of highways 67/385 and FM 11 in Girvin, go north on FM 11 2 miles following road as it curves west. The cemetery is 50 yards south of the road, between the road and railroac tracks.
Interesting Facts: Time Periods of Burials: 1860-1900, 1900-1945
Driving Instructions: The crossing is located about 11.5 miles northwest of Girvin on FM 11 (at 31°14' N, 102°29' W).
Interesting Facts: The river forms the Pecos-Crane county line. It is the river crossing site on Butterfield trail, connecting frontier forts. Famed ford of the Pecos River, named for abundance of horse and mule skulls lining the banks in the 19th century. Many water-starved animals, stolen in Mexico by Indians and driven along the Comanche war trail, died after drinking too deeply from the river. After the California gold strike in 1848, Horsehead Crossing became a major landmark on the trail west, as it provided the first water for about 75 miles on the route from the east. Emigrants arriving here either turned northwest along the river or crossed and continued southwest to Comanche Springs at Fort Stockton. In 1858, the crossing became an important stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail route from St. Louis to San Francisco. An adobe stage stand was built and a ferry put into operation, but both were abandoned in 1861, when mail service was terminated. In late 1862, during the Civil War, federal forces kept a close watch at the crossing in reaction to a threatened confederate invasion. Cattle began to be trailed across the Pecos in 1864, and in 1866, Charles Goodnight and Oliver Loving blazed their famous trail, which came to this point and turned upriver. Completion of two railroads across west Texas in the early 1880s caused abandonment of the crossing.
Horse Head Crossing on the Pecos River
Driving Instructions: From Grivin, go about 11.5 miles northwest on FM 11 to Marked CR, about 4 miles north on CR to marker.
Interesting Facts: Here crossed the undated Comanche Trail from Llano Estacado to Mexico in 1850. John R. Bartlett while surveying the Mexican boundary found the crossing marked by skulls of horses; hence the name "Horse Head", the Southern Overland Mail (Butterfield), route, St. Louis to San Francisco, 1858-1861, and the road west from Fort Concho crossed here. The Goodnight-Loving trail, established in 1866 and trod by tens of thousands of Texas longhorns, came here and turned up east bank of the Pecos for Fort Summer and into Colorado.
Markers in the Imperial Area
Interesting Facts: Time Periods of Burials: 1860-1945
Driving Instructions: Take FM 1053 1 mile southwest from Imperial to Imperial Cemetery Road. Turn right (northwest) on Imperial Cemetery Road and go .5 miles to the cemetery on the east side of the road.
Old Buena Vista, Mexican American Cemetery
Driving Instructions: Take FM 11 southeast from Imperial 5 miles to the Old Girvin Highway. Continue southeast on Old Girvin Highway (becomes gravel) .5 miles to cemetery on northeast side of the road.
Interesting Facts: Time Periods of Burials: 1860-1900, 1900-1945, 1945-1975
Markers in the Iraan Area
Ira G. Yates Ranch Cemetery - Unknown Mexican Worker, Old Hickox Ranch Grave
Driving Instructions: In Iraan, go north on Blanton Street to 12th Street. Turn left (west) on 12th to 306. Cemetery is located 200 yards north of 12th Street on the west side of the fenceline bordering Yates Ranch.
Interesting Facts: Time Periods of Burials: 1900-1945
Iraan Historical Marker
Driving Instructions: The marker is located at 6th and Farr Streets in front of the Community Building.
Interesting Facts: In 1922, three local businessmen, O. W. Parker, George Thompson, and I. G. Yates, leased the drilling rights on twenty sections of ranch land to Transcontinental Oil Company. After two dry holes were drilled, the I. G. Yates well No. 1 blew in on October 28, 1926. The area around ranch headquarters became a boom town. Because it was isolated, support of the increased population became difficult. Yates converted a barn into a hotel and the area became known as Red Barn Community. In April 1927, Yates commissioned H. L. George of San Angelo to survey a townsite at this location, 3 miles north of Red Barn. A contest was held to choose a name for the new town. The winner was "Iraan", submitted by C. R. Hallmark who combined the names of Ira Yates and his wife Ann. His prize was a city lot. The first business to operate in Iraan was a service station run by K. P. Looney. A Post Office was opened in 1928. A nondenominational chapel known as Union Church was set up from contributions by Yates and Mid-Kansas Oil Company. During the boom days of Iraan, V. T. Hamlin worked as a free-lance writer. It was here that he created the comic strip "Alley Oop" . A park honoring his cartoon characters is located in the city.
Marathon Oil Company Discovery Well
Driving Instructions: Located on US 190/SH 349 at the western edge of Iraan.
Interesting Facts: Opening one of greatest oil fields in the world, Mid-Kansas Oil and Gas Company (a subsidiary wholly owned by the Ohio Oil Company, whose name has now been changed to Marathon Oil Company) brought in the I. G. Yates "A" No. 1 well on October 29, 1926. The well at the shallow depth of 1,150 feet had a rated potential daily flow of 72,869 barrels. Previously oil men had said: "You won't find any oil west of the Pecos." This did not stop the work of Mid-Kansas Oil and Gas Company and its partner, Transcontinental Oil Company, later acquired by Marathon Oil Company. The strike was sensational. Scarcely more than a year later, the Yates field had 100 wells--two of which had higher yields than Yates No. 1. Under the 20,000-acres Ira G. Yates ranch and adjoining lands lay one of the largest oil reserves in the world. The many developers voluntarily adopted proration. Their plans for allocating and restricting Yates fields production were approved by the Texas Railroad Commission in 1928. This was the first complete commission in 1928. This was the first complete proration of an oil field in the state --and an important milestone in petroleum conservation. The Yates field now has 607 wells.
Memory Garden Cemetery
Driving Instructions: Go 5 miles east of Iraan on the south side of Highway 29.
Interesting Facts: Time Periods of Burials: 1900-1945, 1945-1975, 1975-Date of Survey
Driving Instructions: Go 3.5 miles northwest of Iraan on the north side of Highway 349.
Markers in the Sheffield Area
Canon Ranch Archeological District
Interesting Facts: LISTED IN THE NATIONAL REGISTER
Significant Dates: 1000
Cultural Affiliation: Paleo-Indian; Archaic; Late Prehistoric
Areas of Significance: Prehistoric; Historic - Non-Aboriginal
Current Function: Agriculture/Subsistence
Subfunction: Animal Facility
Historic Function: Domestic; Industry/Processing/Extraction; Agriculture/Subsistence
Historic Subfunction: Water Works; Camp; Animal Facility; Institutional Housing
Periods of Significance: 5000-6999 BC; 7000-8999 BC; 1499-1000 AD; 1900-1750 AD; 9000-10999 BC; 1749-1500 AD; 1000 AD-999 BC; 1000-2999 BC; 3000-4999 BC
Canon Ranch Railroad Eclipse Windmill
Driving Instructions: West of Sheffield on the Canon Ranch.
Interesting Facts: LISTED IN THE NATIONAL REGISTER
Period of Significance: 1900-1924; 1875-1899
The Canon Ranch Railroad Eclipse Windmill is located on the Charles C. Canon Ranch west of the town of Sheffield, Texas. The windmill and well are located in the corral area near the ranch headquarters.
The Railroad Eclipse Windmill was made of wood, cast iron, and steel. The wheel had a total of two hundred and thirty-two wooden blades, which were bolted in sections to a wooden wheel frame. The head, or operating portion of the windmill, located at the top of the wooden tower, was made of cast iron and steel and used habitant bearings. Attached to the head were two tails, one for speed control and the other for on-off control. Both of these tails were of wood reinforced with small amounts of cast iron and steel.
The original tower was replaced with a newer "telescoped" tower in 1915. This tower remains in use at the present time. The windmill continued to serve the ranch for many years, but in time it was replaced by a power pump. In the early 1960's the mill was damaged by a severe windstorm. Then in 1964, Charles C. Canon, the son of the original builder of the mill, had the windmill completely restored and placed in operating condition over the original well. At the present time the wooden parts of the mill are painted light green with black trim. The tower is painted white. The wheel of the mill is 22.5 feet in diameter. The wheel, cut-off vane, and regulator vane are composed mostly of wood with some cast iron and steel parts. The pump mechanism is likewise made of wood and cast iron.
Today, an electric motor is operating the plunger of the well beneath the windmill. The windmill is in excellent operating condition and could be connected to the plunger, providing ample water for ranch and livestock use. Since the windmill has been recently restored, no further work seems to be in order except for periodic maintenance. Due to the fact that the Eclipse Windmill is in near perfect condition, it may be one of the last working large windmills that can be observed. The Canon Ranch Railroad Eclipse Windmill is one of the few operable Railroad Eclipse Windmills remaining in the United States. These windmills were the largest commercially produced windmills in the United States and were used extensively along the railway routes through the arid Southwest. The Canon Ranch Railroad Eclipse Windmill operated for many years as the primary source for water at the Canon Ranch headquarters.
One of the most important engineering achievements which influenced the development of West Texas and New Mexico was the windmill. Windmills have been used in Europe since before the 12th century. However, the European windmill, often 50 to 100 feet in diameter, was too large to be successfully used and transported in the West. Daniel Halladay, a mechanic from Connecticut, is credited with the invention of the first American windmill in 1954 which proved to be a marketable product. In 1857. the U.S. Wind Engine Company was formed for manufacturing the Halladay windmill.
The first windmill's came to West Texas about 1881 with the coming of the railroads. A dependable supply of good quality water was necessary for steam locomotive boiler supply. Both the Southern Pacific and Texas & Pacific Railroads made use of the windmill for water supply. These railroads used windmills made by the Eclipse Windmill Company similar to the once located at the Canon Ranch. Wind Engine Company was formed for manufacturing the Halladay windmill.
In 1898 William Canon, the owner of extensive ranching interests west of the Pecos River in Texas, was determined to replace the mule-driven pump at his ranch headquarters with a wind-driven pump. He probably chose the large railroad-style Eclipse Windmill because of its ability to pump water from deep drilled wells. The model that he chose, a twenty-two and a half foot diameter windmill, was the largest ever constructed by the Eclipse Company.
BIBLIOGRAPHY ON FILE IN THE NATIONAL REGISTER
Sheffield Historical Marker
Driving Instructions: Marker is located on SH 290 in front of the community swimming pool.
Interesting Facts: Spanish explorers traveled Indian trails here in the Pecos River Valley as early as 1590. Later, U.S. Cavalry, a camel train, and stage and mail lines between San Antonio and San Diego, California, used the route. Nearby Pecos Spring attracted settlers to the area in the 1880s and 90s. Families lived in tents on the north side of the creek and hauled water from the spring. About 1890 a community water well was dug. Early residents were sheep and cattle ranchers. Mail and supplies had to be brought from San Angelo and Ozona. About 1901 Will Sheffield built a grocery and dry goods store approximately one mile from the spring. A post office opened with Will Sheffield as postmaster. Since he was the first to operate a store, the settlement was named for him. A saloon was opened, and in 1901 a school was begun with sixty-four pupils. After living for several years in tents, residents began building permanent homes. Garrett Bean purchased a section of land from the state where the present townsite is located and drew off town lots in 1905. Well-known Texas Ranger Frank Hamer got his start in law enforcement here. Sheffield offers churches and a trade center for area ranches.
Markers in the Fort Stockton AreaAnnie Riggs Hotel
Location: 301 South Main Street
Interesting Facts: Fort Stockton's first hotel of significance. Built 1900. Adobe, with "gingerbread" trim. Large verandas, dining room, parlors, guest rooms. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.
Location: On Spring Drive at Rooney Park.
Interesting Facts: Used as a watering place and camping ground by Indians since Pre-Columbian times, the springs were possibly visited about 1536 by Spaniard Cabeza de Vaca on his wanderings through Texas. The expedition of Juan de Mendoza, with his party of Spaniards and Jumano Indians, camped near the waters in 1684. The six major, gushing springs and the beautiful river they formed resulted from water seeping up through geological faults to the earth's surface. The reservoir which supplied them was located in the formation known as "Trinity Sand." The springs, among the largest in all Texas, were one of the few good watering places in this arid region. They supplied Indians raiding into Mexico on the nearby Comanche war trail and also gold seekers traveling to California on the southern route, 1849 and later. Butterfield Overland Mail stage stopped here as well, and after 1859 the Springs provided water for Fort Stockton, which was founded both to protect the mail and stop the Comanche raids. The springs began to be tapped for irrigation as early as 1875, but today irrigation projects to the north and west have reduced the underground water supply so much that the springs no longer flow.
Courthouse, Jail and Zero Stone
Location: On James Street between Main and Nelson Streets.
Interesting Facts: Courthouse and jail. Built 1883 of native sandstone. Nearby Zero Stone place in 1859 as first reference point of local surveys. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark, 1966.
C. S. A.
Location: In front of the courthouse grounds at the corner of Nelson and James Streets.
Interesting Facts: After federal evacuation at start of Civil War, occupied by 2nd Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles. On far western frontier defense line. Supply post for troops going to and from Arizona-New Mexico campaign 1861-1862, designed to make confederacy an ocean to ocean nation. At times this area was the center of Comanche and Apache activities. California union troops dominated area 1862-65. Stopover on way west for many union sympathizers and people wanting to avoid conflict of war.
East Hill Cemetery
Location: From Fort Stockton, go south on Highway 285 to Parkview Street, turn left (east) on Parkview and go 1 mile to the cemetery at the end of the road on the south side.
First Telephone Exchange
Location: 610 Callaghan (corner of Callaghan & Butz Streets)
Interesting Facts: The Pecos County commissioners authorized E. W. Bennett (1858-1933) to establish Ft. Stockton's First Telephone service in May 1909. The switchboard, operated by Bennett's daughter, Zetta, was located in a room attached to this adobe house, where the Bennetts lived. The wires connected with Ft. Stockton's 200 phone subscribers with Ozona, where Bennett's sons, John and Will, ran the family's telephone exchange. Lines were later strung to other towns, completing this vital communication link. The Ft. Stockton Exchange became part of Southwestern Bell Telephone System in 1928.
Location: At the corner of Walter and 8th Streets.
Interesting Facts: Burial ground for soldiers stationed at Fort Stockton and for civilians in the little town that grew up around the post. The fort was established 1859; temporarily closed 1861-1867. Troops here protected the San Antonio-San Diego mail line and quelled Indian raids into Mexico on the infamous Comanche Trail. This cemetery testifies to the hardships of frontier life: no headstone was erected for a person over 40. In 1888 (after the fort was permanently closed in 1886), remains of the 56 soldiers buried here were moved to Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio.
Grey Mule Saloon
Location: 219 South Main Street at the corner of Main and Callaghan Streets.
Interesting Facts: Part of Old Fort Stockton; built in 1880's. Hangout for cowboys and hotel guests. Later a store and post office. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.
Location: Corner of East 3rd and Rooney Streets.
Interesting Facts: Founded in 1859, Fort Stockton was abandoned during the civil war and reestablished in 1867, when this guard house was built. Stone for the structure was quarried locally. The lumber was hauled from Indianola by Oxcart. The Guard House consisted of a room with arm and leg irons, a dungeon for solitary confinement, and quarters for guards. It was abandoned in 1886, Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.
Location:At the east edge of town.
Interesting Facts: LISTED IN THE NATIONAL REGISTER
The city of Fort Stockton is located in central Pecos County in the western part of Texas. It is strategically located at Comanche Springs, the third largest springs in Texas and a major source of water in this arid country.
Although the first fort was established there in 1858, it was occupied only briefly. During the Civil War, the fort was occupied by Confederate forces and it was not until the re-occupation by Federal troops in 1868 that building was begun at the present site. The reactivating of the fort provided the impetus for the growth and development of the city itself. Final occupation, by the Army here lasted until 1886. After this time, the fort structures were moved into by the local population some were dismantled, and many disappeared. What remains today of the old fort are three officer's quarters, a stone guardhouse, and some stone foundations of what is presumed to have been barracks.
Other buildings associated with the Fort Stockton Historic District were either directly related to the fort or form a part of the early frontier spirit of the town and its history.
Its here defined, the Fort Stockton Historic District includes: That area within the City of Fort Stockton bounded by Water Street on the west, and running south along Water Street to Division Street. One block west on Division to Main Street and running two blocks south on Main Street to James Street. Then going east on James to Spring Drive and following Spring Drive north-northeast to Comanche Springs, around the east side of Comanche Springs west to the alley between St. Gall and Orient streets. Then north to Fifth Street; from Fifth Street the boundary runs east along Fifth to Water streets and north up Water Street to the Old Fort Cemetery and encompassing it. The irregular conformation of the district is dictated by the location of the cemetery relative to the other fort and town related structures. However, it is felt that the cemetery and the additional later structures within the district provide a continuous segment of the development of the history of the town.
BIBLIOGRAPHY ON FILE IN THE NATIONAL REGISTER
Historical Marker for Pecos County
Location: On US 385 at the eastern edge of Fort Stockton south of IH-10.
Interesting Facts: Formed from Presidio County, created May 3, 1871. Organized March 9, 1875. On March 9, 1875, the following county officers were elected: George M. Frazer, Chief Justice. Cesario Torre, Commissioner. Francis Rooney, Commissioner. Hipolito Carrasco, Commissioner. Fort Stockton, County Seat. Oil was discovered in the Yates field in 1926.
Historical Marker for the Town of Fort Stockton
Location: Near the intersection of Main and James Streets on the courthouse grounds.
Interesting Facts: Established on the Comanche Trail March 23, 1859, as a protection to the San Antonio-San Diego mail route. Named in honor of Commodore Robert Field Stockton, 1795-1866, who captured California for the United States. A stage stand on the San Diego Line, 1858-1861. Evacuated by federal troops during the civil war, reoccupied July, 1867. Permanently abandoned June 30, 1886.
Location: Near the intersection of 2nd Street and Spring Drive.
Interesting Facts: About 1910, a railroad stop named Hovey was established about 40 miles west of here on the Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railroad. By 1913, Hovey contained a depot, post office/general store, and several stock shipping. Hovey school was established in 1913. The first school building burned and in 1916 this schoolhouse was erected in Hovey. It served as a one-teacher seven-grade school for Anglo and Hispanic students of the rural ranch community of Hovey. After the school closed in 1938, the building served as a community center. It was moved here in 1987.
Koehler's Saloon and Store
Location: On Spring Drive across from Comanche Springs in Rooney Park.
Interesting Facts: Built in the 1870's of field stone. Herman Koehler in 1884 opened a saloon at one end, general store and bank at other. Later, a second story was added. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.
Oil and Gas Industry in Pecos County
Location: 1000 Railroad Avenue, Fort Stockton Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center, interior
Interesting Facts: Located in the petroleum-rich Permian Basin, Pecos is one of the most prolific oil- and gas-producing counties in Texas. The petroleum business here began about 1900 with the drilling of the Turney well near an ancient "seep", a traditional local source of oil for lubricating and medicinal purposes. A short-lived boom in 1921 caused by the discovery of the "Miracle Well" heralded the arrival of the fabulous Yates oil field (1926), indicating the area's great potential oil wealth. Since that year over 710 million barrels of oil have been produced from the Yates, Fort Stockton and other county fields. The presence of natural gas, known for years, was slow to be exploited because gas was considered an undesirable by-product of the oil business. The first commercial use of gas here was inspired after it was found by workers drilling a water well, in 1925. The discovery, about 1948, of Santa Rosa field spurred exploration that brought in the Puckett field in 1952. Subsequent deep drilling tapped many extensive pools, including in 1963 the prolific Gomez Field, which had produced over 478 billion cubic feet of gas as of 1970. Today petroleum is the single most important economic asset of Pecos County.
Old First National Bank Building
Location: At the intersection of Second and Main Streets.
Interesting Facts: Built in 1912, this structure originally housed the First National Bank of Fort Stockton. Established two years earlier, the bank failed during the years of the great depression. In 1935 the building was purchased by the Pecos County State Bank. Chartered in 1928, the financial institution was located here until 1960. The structure exhibits Neo-Classical styling and features massive doric columns that support an elaborate pediment. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1983.
Oldest House in Fort Stockton
Location: At the corner of Sherer and Nelson Streets.
Interesting Facts: Oldest house. Only reminder of first Fort Stockton, founded 1859. Was part of old St. Gall townsite. Had thatched roof, adobe walls. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.
Pecos County Camptosaur Tracks Historical Marker
Location: Inside the Fort Stockton City Warehouse, after being taken down due to vandalism. Original location was in an arroyo southwest of town.
Interesting Facts: In the arroyo southwest of this site are dinosaur tracks made 120 million years ago when area was part of sea that extended north from the Gulf of Mexico. These tracks, embedded in rocks of the Comanchean Cretaceous period, were left by a Camptosaurus dinosaur, ancestor to the better known duck-billed Trachodon. According to research, this plant-eating animal was about 20 feet long and ten feet tall. His hind legs were strong and longer than his arms which were used to grasp and tear food. His neck was short; head small; the tail long, perhaps equal in length to the body. Measurement of the exposed tracks (17 1/2 inches wide and 21 inches long) determine that this Camptosaur's stride was 5 ft. 10 inches from toe to heel; his pace, 11 ft. 8 in. The shallow sea in which this dinosaur (and other forms of animal and plant life) lived and died was gradually covered by deposits of mineral-laden earth. As this area rose and settled through hundreds of centuries, the buried organic matter was gradually converted through chemical changes to vast resources of petroleum, natural gas and sulphur. This Camptosaur's tracks remain to remind mankind of the prehistoric age in which the oil industry had its infant beginnings.
Pecos County Courthouse-1883
Location: No longer standing.
Interesting Facts: Building Completion Date: 1883
Pecos County Courthouse-1912
Interesting Facts: Building Completion Date: 1912
Central dome removed. originally built in 1883, partially demolished and remodeled in 1911-12
Historic Interior Images: Sheriff's Office 1920 ABT Pecos: A History of the Pioneer West (vol. 2), Superintendent's Office 1930 ABT Pecos: A History of the Pioneer West (vol. 1), County Judge's Office 1935 Pecos County History.
Pioneer Stagecoach Stand Operators Mr. and Mrs. Isaac J. Rude
Location: On the Service Road side of I-10, about 8 miles west of Fort Stockton.
Interesting Facts: On way to California from Tennessee in the 1850's Isaac J. and Sarah Isabella Rude settled in West Texas. In Davis Mountains, Rude built and operated a station for the Butterfield Overland Stage; here passengers had meals while mules were unharnessed and exchanged for a fresh team. Soon Butterfield--the pioneer passenger and mail service (1858-1861) from St. Louis to California--had Rude move here to Ft. Stockton and build another stand. In 1859, when a stop was added at Leon water hole, 5 miles west of Ft. Stockton, Rude built and ran the stand there. Food there was best on the route, said a journalist. Sarah Rude (1834-1916) carried a pistol under her apron, to protect her children. When Indians attacked the Davis Mountains stand, the men loaded guns and handed them to Mrs. Rude--a calm, sure marksman. Just over 5 ft. tall, she butchered and skinned beeves to feed her family, when her husband was away. After stages stopped operating in 1861, Isaac Rude, like others associated with the Overland Mail, joined the Confederate army. Later he became a prosperous businessman in McKinney. Born in 1829, he died in 1902.
Saint Stephen's Episcopal Church
Location: At the corner of East 2nd Street and Spring Drive.
Interesting Facts: Episcopal Church. Oldest Protestant church in Trans-Pecos Texas. Moved to site, 1958. Contains solid ebony cross. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.
St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery - St. Joseph's, St. Agnes
Location: At the intersection of Highways 285 and 385, go south on 385, following 385 as it splits with Highway 194. Follow to El Paso Street. Turn left (east) and go .5 miles to the cemetery on the south side of the road.
St. Joseph's Catholic Church
Location: 403 S Main Street (Corner of James and Main Streets).
Interesting Facts: Efforts to establish a Catholic church in the area began shortly after the Civil War when Fort Stockton was reoccupied by United States troops. The first services were conducted in 1872 by Father Claude Jaillet and Father Adolfo Guichon. Construction of the present church building began three years later. Located on land donated by Peter Gallagher, it was built of adobe on a stone foundation. The structure was remodeled in the 1960s. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966.
Telegraph Office & School
Location: 201 West Gallagher Street (Corner of Gallagher and Nelson Streets)
Interesting Facts: First school in area, 1883. Smaller structure served as first office for army telegraph line which arrived in 1876. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.
Williams, O. W. Historical Marker
Location: 100 North Rooney Street
Interesting Facts: Kentucky native Oscar Waldo Williams (1853-1946) graduated from Harvard with a law degree in 1876 and moved to Texas in search of a drier climate. He worked as a land surveyor as the South Plains opened for settlement and in 1884 accepted a job as deputy surveyor for Pecos County. After serving as Pecos County judge (1886-1888, 1892-1900), Williams practiced law in Fort Stockton, building an office on this site about 1915. An expert in land law and water rights, his interests and investments shifted to oil and gas leases in the region. A keen observer of events and nature, Williams also authored numerous articles on the history, folklore and natural history of the Southwest. (2001)
Location: Near the intersection of Callaghan Street and Spring Drive.
Interesting Facts: F. W. Young Store and home. Built 1876 by this former post sutler at ford over Comanche Creek. Had wagon yard, corrals in rear. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.